Friday, Week 4/Block 3
Squat Clean + Jerk:
EMOM 10: 1 Rep
– Spend 5:00 warming before starting the clock
– Start at 50% and add weight each round
– Goal is to end around 85% of 1RM.
– Beginners: Technique Work or Back Squat 5 x 5 from the rack.
5 Shoulder to 0verhead (115, 75)
10 Deadlifts (115, 75)
15 Box Jumps (24, 20)
L3: (95, 65)
L2: (75, 55)
L1: (65, 35)
*Step-ups are permitted here
50 Banded Hip Flexor Pulls each leg
100 Banded leg Curls each leg
– Strength: Work up to a 2-3 challenging sets of squat clean and jerk. These should not be maximal, but more a chance for you to get in some fast sets. Make sure to record your numbers from today as we’ll see more EMOM work with the clean and jerk next block.
– Metcon: Open workout variation (13.2) where managing breathing is paramount. Each round will be fast, so use the rest to regain your composure and got through each at near 90% of maximal effort. Step-ups are an option today and most will benefit from this variation. Barbell weight must be light today.
Thursday, Week 4/Block 3
EVEN Mins: 1 Movement Athlete Choice
ODD Mins: 1 Movement Athlete Choice
– Athletes will choice 2 movements that they need to work on. As your coach for some guidance if needed. Perform small sets to reinforce good movement patterns.
This should NOT be a challenging EMOM. Focus should be on improving.
What is a Goat?
Your Goat in CrossFit is a movement that you are not so good at, and that is putting it politely. It could be anything; barbell movement, gymnastics movement, body weight movement, kettlebell movement, or simply flexibility and/or mobility. The only way to attack your goat is to work on it!
5 Rounds of:
1a) Stone to Shoulder x 3-4 each.
1b) Front Rack Carry x 100 Ft (53/hand, 35/hand).
1c) L-Sit x 20s.
1d) Walking Lunges x 20 Reps (Athlete choice of weight)
1e) DB Man Makers x 5 Reps
– 1 Renegade Row + 1 push-up + 1 renegade row + 1 push-ups + 1 squat clean thruster
*Score = For Quality
Alternate Scaling Options:
– Stones: Heavy sledpush, heavy sledpull, or 60s Max Effort Calories Row or Assault Bike, or 10 KB Romanian Deadlifts.
– Front Rack Carry: Farmer Carry x 100 meters.
– DB Man Makers: Renegade Row Only 10/side
– Skill: Choice two movements that need work. Keep sets small so you can reinforce good motor patterns. This holds true with gymnastics movements as well.
– Metcon: Goal for today is just to keep moving. Should be an aerobic level pace. This workout can be done in any order to facilitate the class. This is NOT for time so focus on quality and not quantity.
Wednesday, Week 4/Block 3
1) Floor Press: Work up a 1RM. Rest 2:00
*Compare to close grip bench press max from month 1 as these numbers should be close.
*Use a spotter.
2) DB or KB Hammer Curls: 3 x 10. Rest 60s.
20 KBS (53, 35)
10 Burpee Box Jumps (24, 20)
L2: (30 DU) (45, 25)
L1: (50 Singles) (35, 25) (Burpees no box)
3 x 10-10-10
DB Tricep Extensions to forehead + Rolling Tricep Extensions + Neutral Presses
– Strength: If floor press max is more than your close grip bench press you need to work on using your legs more when bench pressing. The floor press is great for enhancing lockout and strength for overhead movements.
– Metcon: Manage breathing and pace each round. Advanced athletes should shoot for sub 12:00. Breathing will be extremely important for consistency and pacing, especially in the BBJ.
Tuesday, Week 4/Block 3
6 x 3. Rest 90s-2:00
– Work up to 75% or to a moderate load resetting between reps.
– Begin to set-up for metcon between sets (ie. wallballs, space for wallwalks, rowers).
Row 500 meters
12 Power Cleans (115, 75)
15 Wallballs (20, 14)
Rx+: (135, 95)
L3: (95, 65)
L2: (75, 55) (Half Wallclimb) (14, 10)
L1: (95, 65 Deadlifts (20 Shoulder Taps) (10, 8)
Alternate Scaling Options:
– Rowing: Sub 400 meter run, 60s Assault Bike, or 75 Double Unders.
Abs with a plate switch: 4 x 20s max reps. Rest 60s.
Monday, Week 4/Block 3
Spend a few minutes working on DB Snatch Technique
Dumbbell Power Snatch 5 x 10
– 5 per arm, alternating.
– Rest 90s-2:00 between sets.
– Climb in weight if able.
“Ring of Fire”
Overhead or Front Squats (115, 75)
Rx+:(135, 95) (C2B Pull-ups)
L3: (95, 65)
L2: (75, 55) (Jumping Pull-ups)
L1: (65, 35) (Ring Rows)
8:00 Accumulate Max 100 meter Trips of Single Arm Farmer Carry, AHAP.
– Strength: Focus on technique. Complete hip extension, pull under weight, catch with locked out arm.
– Metcon: This workout should be completed at near maximal output, unbroken sets for the entire workout if possible. The time cap is 10:00, but advanced athletes should shoot for sub 5:00. If OHS is not a viable option, scale to a Front Squat so you don’t miss the boat on the level of intensity that should occur with this workout.
Saturday, Week 3/Block 3
Teams of 3 for time:
Run 1 Mile Together, with Medball (20, 14)
150 Goblet Squats (70, 53)
Run 800 meters Together, with Medball
150 Russian Swings (70, 53)
Run 600 meters Together, with Medball
150 Thrusters (95, 65)
L3: (53, 35) (75, 55)
L2: (45, 25) (65, 35)
L1: (35, 25) (45, 25)
– One person works at a time on KB movements and thrusters, but medball runs will be completed together. Athletes can pass the ball off while they run. If the ball touches the ground on their run there is a 5 Burpee penalty for each athlete when they come back to the gym.
– Sub 2k, 1500m, 1k row for the running.
– Metcon: Have fun with this one today and don’t worry about your time. KB weight choices should be a little heavier today as the total volume is relatively low. Thrusters should be relatively light today. This is a lot of reps, so scale correctly.
Team Medball running!
Friday, Week 3/Block 3
1) Wide Stance Box Squat:
7 x 3 @60-70%, every 60s.
– use 13-15″” Box.
– +5% from last week
– Ensure each set is done explosively + you are sitting back on the box
– This % is of your 1RM Back Squat.
2) Deadlift Warm up: Work up to the weight you think you’ll make it to performing.
30 Deadlifts (135, 95)
20 Deadlifts (185, 115)
10 Deadlifts (225, 135)
– All Levels: Scale down each weight by 10-20#s
– Score = total reps
Deadbug + Reverse Crunch: 3 x 10. Rest 60s.
Supermans x 50-100 Reps (squeeze glutes at top). Rest as needed.
– Strength: Final week of Box Squats. Loads should be slightly heavier but speed/technique should be on point by now. Make sure these are done by sitting back on the box then exploding up. Stance MUST BE WIDE to really get the most out of these. It’s okay to be uncomfortable, you can always go lighter if needed.
– Metcon: Consistent breathing and pacing the entire workout. Scale weights appropriately.
Thursday, Week 3/Block 3
3 RFT with a partner:
Row 1500 meters
10 Curtis P’s (115, 75)
L3: (95, 65)
L2: (75, 55)
L1: (65, 35)
– Curtis P = 1 Power Clean + 1 Forward Front Lunge each leg + 1 Push Press
Beginner Alternative Movement:
DB Reverse Lunges in place x 5 ea.
DB Push Press x 5 reps
– These can be done with light KBs as well
– Rowing: Sub 1200 meter run per round if needed.
7:00 of Tissue Work. Foam roll, lax ball, etc.
– Metcon: Aerobic workout today. Volume of Curtis P’s is low on purpose, but weights should be light. Most of the time will be spent on the rower. As such, breaking up sets is your choice, but one person works at a time. Short intervals on rower will keep intensity higher whereas longer intervals will keep aerobic level higher. Break up rowing sets based on rowing ability/strength (explosiveness vs. ability to sustain).
Melissa F. finishing a push press.
Wednesday, Week 3/Block 3
5:00 of Bodyweight movement x 10 reps each
– Air Squats
– Hollow Rocks
3 Way Banded Shoulder + Lat stretch x 20s each + Jerk Review
2 Split Jerks @80% (from rack)
– +5% from last week.
– There should be no missed sets
– Beginners: Push Press, 6 x 4. Heavier than last week.
– Spend 7-10:00 working up to work weight before start.
15 Air Squats
L2: (Jumping Pull Ups) (Bar Push-ups)
L1: (Ring Rows) (Box Push-ups)
3 Rounds of:
1 1/4 KB Tricep Extensions (or w. DB) x 10-12. Rest 30s.
Hammer Curls x 10-12. Rest 30s.
– Strength: Final week of dynamic work with jerks. Weights should be challenging but there should be no missed sets. Increase loading from last week if needed. If you missed last Wednesday use 75% or a moderate weight for all sets.
– Metcon: This is a high-volume gymnastics piece as many of you may know so pacing and staying away from muscular failure is key. Try to complete a set every 60-90s depending on your ability. Scale appropriately.
Tuesday, Week 3/Block 3
Gymnastics Skill + Gymnastics Static Hold
*Practice kip before EMOM start
EVEN Minutes: 20s Kipping.
Adv: T2B, Butterfly Pull-up
ODD Minutes: 20s L-Sit or L-Hold
Adv: HS Walking
Run 400 Meters
50 Double Unders
25 KBS (53, 35)
L3: (45, 25)
L2: (35, 25) (60s of Double Under Attempts)
L1: (35, 25 Russian Swings) (75 Single Unders)
E) Extra Credit, 5:00
Banded Anti-rotation Chop: 3 x 8-10 each side. Rest 60s.
– Skill: Skill work similar to last week Thursday. Spend 10:00 learning the kip or refining current technique. Keep sets small then perform EMOM to practice efficiency.
– Metcon: Push run pace today. KBS should be light and completed in no more than 2 sets.Don’t spend too much time completing double under so the scale accordingly. Advanced athletes should try to push their pace and treat this workout like “Helen”. Advanced times will be under 15:00.
Nice running form, Liz.